Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Layout considerations, Max W to L before having voltage drop over gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgk2004

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I was wondering from the experienced guys, what the max recommend W to L ratio used before going to fingers or Multiples before seeing a voltage drop over the gate length. For example, I have always used the 10X rule, therefore if my L =100nm the max W could be 1um. If I drive the transistor gate from both ends, I would max out at W = 2um.

Just wondering, is this too relaxed. What is the max you guys recommend?

JGK

It's a good rule of thumb, I think. For critical timing one could try and estimate an RC time constant in comparison to required switching times. Anyway the models usually set a limit to max. (and min.) W/L ratios (because of model (in)accuracy, beyond).

Reactions: jgk2004

jgk2004

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello Erikl,

Thanks for the feedback. I have read somewhere that its a good rule of thumb. But wasn't sure. As for the models, they will let me make a 100X W to L ratio... which I think is really weird... I wonder if they put that always in the pdk on newer technologies.

JGK

As for the models, they will let me make a 100X W to L ratio... which I think is really weird.

Hello John,

I don't think this is weird if the model accuracy and all the routing RCs allow for. At least you can achieve a good power dissipation distribution per area.
But I've never used a process which allowed for a W/L > 20 (for the guaranteed model accuracy).

erikl

Hello all,

I was wondering from the experienced guys, what the max recommend W to L ratio used before going to fingers or Multiples before seeing a voltage drop over the gate length. For example, I have always used the 10X rule, therefore if my L =100nm the max W could be 1um. If I drive the transistor gate from both ends, I would max out at W = 2um.

Just wondering, is this too relaxed. What is the max you guys recommend?

JGK

If you are talking about a dynamic voltage drop, during transistor switching (and thus - about switching delay), then the proper metric is an effective gate resistance seen from the gate port.
For a one-sided contacted gate, the effective gate resistance is 1/3*Rg (Rg is an end-to-end resistance of gate poly), and that of a two-sided contacted gate is 1/12*Rg (additional factor of 1/2 is due to the fact that the current flowing through the gate contact from each side is 1/2 of the total gate current value).

Thus, you can safely increase the gate width four times (not two times), if you switch form one-sided contact layout to two-sided.

There is an additional parasitic effect in wide gates - a voltage drop on source/drain metal1, if layout is not designed properly.

Very wide gates (W>100 um) are widely used in power transistors.

Max
---------

Reactions: jgk2004

jgk2004

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the feedback Timof, and catch I was missing the 1/2 since driving at both ends thanks.

JGK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back