Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

using photo transistor to brighten/dim leds

Status
Not open for further replies.

build18er

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on using a photo transistor to adjust the brightness of a few leds (more light in photo transistor, the brighter the leds). I am trying to figure out the best way to build this circuit. I have played with using transistors to increase the difference supplied by the photo transistor, but I seem to be unsuccessful. Any help designing this circuit would be greatly appreciated.

Variable PWM (using a uP) is the usual way. Otherwise individual controlled current sources would be needed.

I don't really know anything about creating a PWM circuit (nor what a uP is) would you kindly elaborate on how i can go about setting one up?

Have you considered using a LDR Light dependant resistor. The light /current bias is very linear compared to a Photo transistor. it would not be hard to control the current through your diodes with a simple biasing circuit.

i am open to any type of light sensing device. The only qualification is that it need to be reactant to IR light ~940nm, as that is what i am sensing based on. Do you have any recommendations as to what device i want to use, and what a basic circuit would consist of? Basically at no light i would want the leds to be dim, and then as more light is detected (IR) i want the leds to get brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back