Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is 44pin 64 microcells enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwwrabbit

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microcell of xilinx

I am new here and new for use CPLD. I want to implement a circuit to a CPLD to save space and weight. this circuit has 2 Up/down counter, 2 adder, and other logic. I wonder how much microcell do I need to fit this circuit in. is 44 pin 64 microcell enough?
BTW, is CUPL is a good language? I have protel to support this language, and can compile it. What compoment is suitable? I am a amateur, May I practice whose for free?

any suggestion is welcome.

:?:

cpld 32 microcell

Hi

You don't give the size of your counter and adders !!!
How many bits ?

Regards

You probably mean macrocells, not microcells. :)

The size of your CPLD mainly depends on the number of flipflips you need. In your example, you need to know the size of your counters, in order to determine the number of flipflops needed. For example: 2x 8 bit counter needs 16 flipflops.

When you work with Xilinx CPLD's, I suggest you take a look at the tools Xilinx has to offer for free. Using schematic entry it should be very simple to implement your design. Just draw your schematic, fit it to the CPLD and you're done. They also have nice documentation and application notes.

For simple designs like this, you could take a look at the 9536 (36 mactocells) 9572 (72 macrocells) Xilinx parts.

Good luck with your design!

YOU DECIDE!

HI wwwrabbit :
Listen my man .. The way that you presented your question ,is such that you are a step away to answer it yourself.
2 counters = 2 * ln2 size of the highest count
adders = register size (holding the result ) This entierly depends of the size of the terms ..
is no the same to add 2 nibbles(4 bits) than to add 2 32 bits

64 cells is a lot! if it is wisely used . And of course you KNOW what you are DOING !. by taking advantege of the internal structure of the DEVICE.

Now CUPLE is a SORT of a BASIC language to describe CIRCUITS.
Its close to an ASSAMBLER .. + some type of STATE MACHINE PRIMITIVES !
You have to know very closely your DEVICE ARCHITECTURE TO BE ABLE to IMPLEMENT a DESIGN SUCCESFULLY .
IN other terms SET UP TIMES, HOLD TIMES , ETC . SPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE A FAST CLOCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back