Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between FPGAs and PLCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

you_rock

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
differences??

Hi,

What is the difference between FPGAs and PLCs?

THANKS!!!!

FPGA and PLCs

Hi all,

I have searched over google and yahoo but was unable to find "useful" information on FPGAs and PLCs....From what I have learnt is that an FPGA is just a chip which can be programmed using VHDL and other simulation/hardware programming softwares while I'm still unclear about PLCs because I'm not sure if they are IC chips too or just some circuits designed using passive components.

Please provide me with some useful documents or links (on FPGA and PLCs possibly) with basics. Help anyone.

I'm an entry level hardware programmer trying to learn hardware design for upcoming college projects.

Regards

you_rock! =)

If you're talking about Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), then the difference between FPGA and PLC is too huge to be mentioned. They are totally different. FPGAs are matrices of simple logical elements that can be interconnected at will, while PLCs are full systems that are pre-programmed for a number of tasks. They are different worlds really, it doesn't make too much sense to find the differences between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back