Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] conflict between slack equation and Timequest calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaz1

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There seems plenty contradictions between slack equations and Timequest calculations for setup slack as well as hold slack.

for example the equation below is documented for setup:
Data RequiredTime = Latch Edge + Clock Network Delay to Destination Register – µtSU – Setup Uncertainty

but Timequest shows the following:
1697452211855.png

Thus:
conflict A: clock uncertainty is -0.030 yet it is added as negative. I expect -(-0.030) to be adding +0.030
conflict B: uTsu is 0.242 yet it is added. I expect 0.242 to be subtracted

I wonder is this editing error or some mystery internal modelling by timequest or to do with sense of +

Solution
To be fair with Timequest, I noticed Vivado does same. It looks like the issue originates from Synopsys approach.

What I conclude is that:
The terms of equations are "normalised to be added always". So appear positive or negative as required for addition.
Further analysis showed that TimeQuest has got careless sign issues.

conflict A: clock uncertainty of -0.030 is shown on data and waveform. I see this as meaningless since it shouldn't be negative. This value is then added (in effect is subtracted from accumulated total and so agrees with slack equation indirectly).

conflict B: uTsu is reported as +0.242 then added. However the waveforms shows it as -0.242 therefore it is subtracted from accumulated total -(-0.242) = + 0.242

Though I am surprised that uTsu is negative.

I have seen people reporting same issue in 2013. So after one decade it is still there.

To be fair with Timequest, I noticed Vivado does same. It looks like the issue originates from Synopsys approach.

What I conclude is that:
The terms of equations are "normalised to be added always". So appear positive or negative as required for addition.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back