Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confusion about decibel

Status
Not open for further replies.

watertreader

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Have a little confusion about decibel. I know that to obtain decibel of a power type of quantity you will use 10 log P. while for voltage you will use 20 log V.

However, if the physical quantity I am measuring is in power or intensity. But the output measurement I am taking is in voltage or current... which is the correct form which i should express decibel as?

THanks for your help!

Since you are measuring output power from output voltage the correct one is 20logV. You will recollect that power is related to V^2. So thats the extra factor that comes in as 20 instead of 10. Its that plain simple

The decibel is a kind of a relative measure of a quantity. Thus, the exact definition is given by 10 log (P2 / P1) or 20 log (V2 / V1), since power is proportional to square of voltage. Some special kind of decibels is dBm, where P2 = 1 mW. The decibel has been used since it represent the human perception well, especially the ears, etc.

well buddy visit this page and read it once..you thing will be clear
h**p://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.html
'njoi

P=V²/R=I²×R
Hence
10×log(P1/P2)=10×log(V1²/V2²)=10×log(V1/V2)²=10×2×log(V1/V2)=
20×log(V1/V2)=20×log(I1/I2)

There is no difference to use 10loP or 20 logV.

Status
Not open for further replies.