Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suitable technology for Power Amplifier design

Status
Not open for further replies.

olzanin

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to figure out if some arbitrary Technology is suitable for design Power Amplifier with following specifications:

Average power: 5 dBm.
Peak to average: 12 dB.
Frequency: 800-1500 MHz.

My intention is to be able without special design experience give first estimation with some main technology parameters like voltage or max. current density if this technology is suitable for such power and frequency.

Is it possible to calculate it, or make statement somehow without simulating?

Thank you for help,

Olzanin

Will you be driving a 75 ohm load ? Will you work with a 1.2V supply ? It's quite simple (given the load) to estimate several key parameters.

Hello,

if I say the load is 75R and supply 1.2V. What or how can I calculate now!

Regards,

Olzanin

The key obstacle for these levels is the voltage swing.

With 1.2V one can get about 0.6V differential swing across a load. Given the load impedance and the voltage swing, you'll have both the peak power and avg power that you can deliver. It's not possible to deliver ~40mW on a 75ohm with only 0.6V across it, so you'll have to put a balun to reduce the load impedance until you get the power you want, within your max diff swing. It's not useful to go below 10ohms load impedance, in my opinion. Then you can calculate the max current that your output stage will be putting through the load impedance. with that current you can estimate the gm, assuming your diff input swing is also about 0.6V.

There's a bit more that can be estimated, but once I have gm, current and load I'd do some simple simulations to check the frequency response.

Status
Not open for further replies.