Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How does synthesis tool know to synchronize with clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinod_g

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How the synthsis tool know it as to synchronise with clock only eventhough we write other events too in the sensitivity list

clock

Would you like to make your problem in a more clear way?

clock

process is using only one clock, so if yoy say
if clk ='1' and clk'event then...

syntisys tool automatically assign clock line to clk.

when you pin assigment you are always trying to use dedicated clock pins for clocks, usually FPGA/CPLD have them enough

regards,

Re: clock

Hi,

In an clocked process, you don't put all other signals in sensitivity list. If suppose your flip-flop uses asynchronous reset, then you can add reset in the sensitivity list, nothing more.

Rgds,
vs21

vinod_g said:
How the synthsis tool know it as to synchronise with clock only eventhough we write other events too in the sensitivity list

hi,
If you are building a synchronize circuit the sensitivity list would consist only of clk. nothing else.
If you are building an Asynchronous circuit, i think you dont need to worry about the question you have asked since you can use multiple clk or multiphase clk(refering verilog).

I hope the above described would give a solution.

But as of you ask on having more than one edge triggered inputs in a sensitivity list.. and how the clk is identified...
my comment would be to check the condition of all the edge triggered inputs given in the sensitivity list inside the always block exept the clock input.
But i am not sure whether it would be synthesisable or not.

welcoming comments!

Suresh.

i think that the synthesis tool can take the signal with the largest fanout as the clock in case of multiple edge triggered inputs in large designs...please correct me if i am wrong..

clock

Synthesis tool doesn't understand, it matters how ur giving the signal to other's block .
AS synthesis means
Translation +Optimization+Mapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back