Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Could anybody tell me how to select a capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wereiyou

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to select a capacitor

I want to powr the altera FPGA(EP1C6Q240C8), but I don't know how to select suitable capacitors for the power to the FPGA? Could somebody give me some advices or some reference guides,:idea: and one more question is how to select the value of capacitors after determining the capacitor type?

Are you talking about a Vcc bypass cap?

Generic advice for selecting IC bypass caps:
Put a small ceramic cap from Vcc IC pin to ground with the shortest possible trace length.
Next to this, put a larger ceramic cap, the traces may be a little longer.
Sometimes you will need a larger electrolytic or tantalum capacitor as well.

The values depend on the highest and lowest frequencies of the current that the device will draw, how much current it will draw, and the dynamics of how it changes. For very high frequency devices, you may need to consider the impedance of the capacitor chosen, with the trace lengths used, on the smallest cap close to the chip.

It is hard to go wrong with a 0.01uF ceramic close in, a 1uF next in line and a 10 to 100uF electrolytic near the voltage regulator.

wereiyou

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back