Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The 10% IR drop we talk about represents VDD drop+VSS drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

albred

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I often read that 10% IR drop may cause 7% performance degrade..
Does the 10% mentioned here represents VDD drop+VSS drop? If so, what is the deffernt between 2%VDD/8%VSS and 5%VDD/5%VSS?
I'm not sure about the impact of VSS drop to output high voltage(CMOS, voltage pull up by VDD, seems irrelevant with VSS ).

Re: The 10% IR drop we talk about represents VDD drop+VSS dr

albred said:
Does the 10% mentioned here represents VDD drop+VSS drop? If so, what is the deffernt between 2%VDD/8%VSS and 5%VDD/5%VSS?
I'm not sure about the impact of VSS drop to output high voltage(CMOS, voltage pull up by VDD, seems irrelevant with VSS ).

It does not make difference whether it is 2%vdd 8%vss or 10%vdd 0%vss etc because we would be looking at vdd - vss (difference) only. so, 10% IR drop means that vdd-vss has been decreased by 10%.

The high output is defined with respect to some reference in this case it is VSS. So, in case VSS gets increased due to IR drop then in that case output high though seems unaffected with respect to ground i.e. 0 volts, but has actually got decreased with respect to VSS.

Reactions: kumar_eee

albred

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

kumar_eee

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks nitu.
I think you're righy.

10% IR DROP means (VDD(drop) - VSS(drop)) = 90 * (VDD(ldeal) - VSS

(ideal)), that's all.

best regards

albred said:

IR drop is fall in VDD and rise VSS that means diference between fall in VDD and rise in VSS

EX : - 10%fall in VDD - 10%rise in VSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back