Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pc standby using hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireplus

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

Could you please tell me how can i make my pc enter standby using hardware method as apply a signal or using relay ????????????
Thanks for any body want to help

Yours,
Fire in The Wire :idea:

hi

i think u want to standby ur pc just by pressing a button
sleep button is usually given in many keyboards, which possibally u r not using(or not having that keyboard)
if it is the case then u could change properties of system in power options that when u will press shutdown button given on casing , it will standby ur pc .

@fireplus

IIRC, you can do that by manipulating the ACPI registers (Power Management Registers) in the Power Management controller chip with software. These are standard registers, and I think it's used by windows and other x86 OS to respond to the power-related "messages" such as power-down, suspend to RAM, etc. You can write software for that matter.

Anyway, the ACPI register addresses explanantions are available from the ACPI/Power management controller chip datasheet. I can't recall correctly, wheter the the ACPI controller is embedded inside the southbridge in every motherboard or not. But, I think some of the motherboard has a dedicated power management controller which is integrated with the I/O controller in one chip (in this case, the chip is not part of the southbridge).

There is also a possibility that you can call the BIOS services for power management. But, I don't recommend to venture with this route, since some BIOS are buggy enough to work with in the first place :wink:

goodluck,
PCZ

hi,
thank you for your help, but all the above solutions are by making a software modifcation but what i need is to make a security in my pc by making a smart card reader board that make the computer in stand by untill i put my smart card
so the computer will be active again , once i remove the smart card, the computer will be in the stand by mode again
are there any wire in the motherboard or atx power supply i can connect it to my hardware so i can control the stand by of the computer

thanks for any body want to help

Fire in the Wire :idea:

fireplus said:
hi,

are there any wire in the motherboard or atx power supply i can connect it to my hardware so i can control the stand by of the computer

thanks for any body want to help

Fire in the Wire :idea:

hi

i told u before that u could use the button given on atx casing for shutdown purpose. it is used for shutdown but we could use it to standby,hibernate etc. our pc.

this thing is changed in power options. i think now u would b able to do that..............:D

fireplus

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

fireplus

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back