Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oblique Angles Simulation in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaffer

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
oblique angles

Hi

I am trying to simulate a Frequency Selective Surface (FSS) in Ansoft HFSS for oblique angles. I have setup master and slave boundaries and PMLs on two ends of waveguide. When I simulate , I cant get any S parameters for the range of frequencies. I have setup the incident wave port with spherical coordinates too.
Please do help me to simulate FSS structure for Oblique Angles!!!

Regards.

Ghaffer Kiani

spherical coordinates incident angle

Hi, ghaffer:

If you use HFSS 10 and above, you should be able to get all the information you needed whatever the incident angles you are going to use. However, for the lower versions such as HFSS9.x, when you use IncidentWave as the excitation, you cannot get the reflection/transmission coefficient directly. What you need to do is:

1. draw a non-model face at each end of the wave-guide(basically the internal surface of your PML box which forms the two ends of the wave-guide you are going to use) and run the simulation.
2. integrate over one of the face you defined that located at the same side as the incident wave to get the reflection coefficent when Edit-source->Scattering is choosed.
3. integrate over the other face for the E field when Edit-source->total fied is choosed to get the transmission coefficient.

By the way, use Field Calculator to do the E-field integration. More information can be obtained about the field calc in the following link:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

hfss oblique reflection

Dear Smith

Thanks for your precious help. I have succesffuly done the simulation and now ready to use the calculator. When I select the "plane1(which is my non-model)" on the incident wave side and run the integration...it says that the data is incompatible to be integrated. Could u please explain a more about calculator. Moreover, How will I be able to plot the S-parameters graph/s. Should I use the discrete of fast sweep..i used the discrete sweep.

Please do explain.

Thanks in advance.

Ghaffer

hfss reflection angle setup

Hi, ghaffer:

Didn't see your post for the past days, really sorry for the belated reply. Have you solved your problem?

In case you haven't cleared your questions. Below is my brief answer:
1. For all the operations done in the field calculator, you must make sure that all the variables/operators comply with the types that the calculator required which is simply, real/imaginary or scalar/vector etc and can be found on top of the calculator. For the integration, the integrand must be a scalar, thus you have to integrate the E/H field by part. That means, integrate the real part first and then the imaginary part. After you got both of them, assemble them to be a complex number. For details, please refer to the field cookbook.
2. After you got the final results as a complex number, output it as a variable. Then you should be able to plot it using Plot-Field command. I tried fast sweep long time ago. You may try it yourself to see if discrete can work or not(Should be able to work).

Regards,

hfss10 manual

Hi, Smith

Sorry to say that things are quite confusing for me.
I have now got HFSS 10 version. As you said that oblique angle simulations is easier in this version. Please do guide in perspective of HFSS 10.

Regards.

Ghaffer

hfss plot on non model

Hi, ghaffer:

Sorry to say that I have limited access to HFSS Ver 10 due to the computational resources, thus cannot try it for you. You may like to try a simple example with the angle of the Slave boundary set as: incident_angle, incident_angle+180, where the incident_angle is the Oblique angles you like to simulate and then plot the results directly usng Plot-S parameters.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back