Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Detect the absence of sampled AC signal (from digital filter) in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo1234

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to write a code for a system which detects the absence of AC signal ,received after the digital filter (sampled @ 200khz).
My ideas
1. level detector - If level is zero - no ac signal.(I liked it the most but struggling to come up with logic:bang:)

2. Continuously measure frequency of signal,but would need to increment counter for 1 second ,then if the signal disappears I should be able to detect it immediately and not wait for one second to be over.

3. Peak to peak voltage - No Ac signal means zero P-P voltage.

4. edge detect the rise and fall - No edge will mean no ac signal but it will falsely detect during the time between edges.

5. Use a DAC and analog circuit for detection.:)bored:)

You'll ask for the channel noise spectrum and AC signal characteristic to decide about an optimal detection algorithm.

Hi,

I can´t find a question ... and no problem.

How can we help?

Klaus

I wouldn't look at zero crossings because there will still be noise, perhaps AC mains pickup, when no signal is present. I've done this:

AC Signal -> First order IIR low pass -> Absolute value -> Peak detector with timing window greater than a period -> Threshold comparison

thank you for your reply. I am new to this. I am designing the filter for 50 Khz and 39 Khz separately. So what should be the timing window period be ? Should it be greater than 1/ (50 k) and 1/ 39k respectively or something else?
I was thinking to use a matched filter with peak finder. What do you think about that?

If your signal has enough amplitude I would think that using the level detection method should be the easiest; noise shouldn't be an issue. What is your problem with the logic? Nothing could be easier:

If signal_amplitude<threshold==>NO SIGNAL

You could do something as simple as look at the signal for a fixed amount of time (number of samples) and see if it exceeds the threshold.

Timing window can be anything greater than the period of the slowest signal in this case. I'm proposing a simple peak detector so it just needs to catch at least one peak. To be clear my logic is this:

Code:
if (signal_in>peak)
  peak<= signal_in

if (period_strobe)
 peak_out<=peak;
 peak<=0;

That's in a loop of course. Then compare peak_out to some threshold.

There are other alternatives. If its a synchronous system where your clock is also generating your output then you could use various simplified frequency domain filtering techniques. Run a DFT at your known frequency of interest for example (actually quite simple to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back