+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Lenovo laptop problem during installing LINUX OS

Hi, I'm using Lenovo, when I try to install Linux my laptop got stuck after I switched it off and on. it's not working, all lights up but the screen is blank, CPU fan is running 3 sec only, can anyone help me with this, please.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator

Helped
    2571 / 2571
    Level

Re: Lenovo laptop problem during installing LINUX OS

I once installed Linux on my Compaq laptop (to a re-formatted hd). Things worked to the point where I saw the desktop open and appeared normal. However it froze when I tried to open any application. I had to fall back to Win XP.

Message boards spoke of needing correct Linux drivers for all devices in a computer. I took that to be a plausible explanation for my lack of success. However I didn't see a way to add drivers to the install CD after burning the ISO file.
    Your installation might work if you can figure out what drivers you need, and add them during the install process.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Member level 2

Helped
    12 / 12
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by victorjohn9211 View Post
    Hi, I'm using Lenovo, when I try to install Linux my laptop got stuck after I switched it off and on. it's not working, all lights up but the screen is blank, CPU fan is running 3 sec only, can anyone help me with this, please.
    What Distro exactly are you using and what is the media, what is the model of laptop, how much memory, what sort of storage etc etc!!

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4433 / 4433
    Level

Agreed - lots more information needed. I have only once seen this happen and it was due to a UEFI 'lock' in the BIOS that prevented anything but Windows being installed. It took some defeating but I got it working in the end. If the BIOS has a setting to use legacy mode rather than UEFI it would be a good place to start looking. All modern Linux versions are UEFI aware and quite happy to use it but some hardware manufacturers have agreements with MS to prevent other OS being installed easily so they deliberately block the boot process even though the installation appears to have worked.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

2 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--