Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Discussion] Analog Sinc Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuAtAu

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I was looking at sinc filter and attracted by its characteristic (linear phase/constant group delay=good settling).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinc_filter

I know that sinc filter can be easily designed with DSP by averaging the last few samples. However, I am wondering, is any analog filter able to achieve this characteristic as well? Or is there analog sinc filter? Please share something/thoughts/knowledge with me if anyone know about this because I can't find anything useful with google.

Thank you.

The moment you look at the impulse response of a sinc filter, you immediately see the first problem. It is non-causal. No real life system can be non-causal.

I know that sinc filter can be easily designed with DSP by averaging the last few samples.
The Wikipedia link discusses sinc impulse response (brick wall) and sinc frequency response (boxcar integrator respectively CIC) filters. Not clear which of both you want to implement.

The comment about non-causality only applies to the former. Causal filters with similar characteristic (approximate brick wall) are designed by applying a window to the impulse response.

One method to design arbitrary impulse responses in analog (magnitude and time continuous) circuits is to combine analog delay lines. It's e.g. achieved in SAW filters but can be done to some extent also with purely electrical elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.