Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VCO output buffer design

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rty94

Hello,
I am designing a quadrature VCO at 5-6.5 GHz and now I am trying to figure out which is the best way to design my output buffers. I have tried several topologies but nothing really works sufficiently. Which is the best methodology to do so?

Thanks in advance guys!

Best is more research. 5GHz VCO is a serious circuit, if you don't find a good solution from an article or a book, I think it has a low chance someone will share with you a tried and trustable circuit.
If you show a bit more efforts, results with detailed issues it would be easier to help. I love these kind of free questions, where the answer could mean thousands of dollars.

What is the problem with buffers you've tried already?

Hello,
I am designing a quadrature VCO at 5-6.5 GHz and now I am trying to figure out which is the best way to design my output buffers. I have tried several topologies but nothing really works sufficiently. Which is the best methodology to do so?

Thanks in advance guys!
You should amplify your VCOs signal ( less load effect-higher isolation) then design a Emitter/Source Follower ( low output impedance ) to drive the other blocks.
This is very classical buffer topology.

Actually what I need is to make a square wave at the output as it's gonna be used for pll application.. I have tried already a comparator topologies but it doesn't work..

Actually what I need is to make a square wave at the output as it's gonna be used for pll application.. I have tried already a comparator topologies but it doesn't work..
Research "Cherry-Hooper" circuit for that purpose..

square wave at the output

This implies a sudden transition, and immediate flow of current through devices. 5 GHz requires very rapid On-Off switching. Slew rate can be hampered by capacitive or inductive reactance. Or by a large number of components in the path.

As an experiment, try installing a series capacitor which acts as a differentiator. The output is spikes. Mix through a potentiometer with the original signal, and the result should be quicker up-down transitions. It's a 'kludgey' concept which works in simulation. I could be all wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back