Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shake generator in battery compartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kangyunmei

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

I have some led flashlights that take 3 AAA batteries. I wanted to replace this with a 4.5V rechargeable battery/capacitor And a shake generator (Faraday) in the battery compartment.

5 Pack Ultra Bright LED Flashlight Torch 7w 300lm Adjustable Focus Zoomable Q5 Cree Tactical Light

The flashlight I only would need for 2 minutes at a time.

Would it be possible?

Hi,

Pleae mind: a forum can't replace scool.
Thus I recommend to first study electric / electronic basics.

To your question:
There us a lot of useless information:
* Ultra Bright LED Flashlight Torch ...300lm Adjustable Focus Zoomable Q5 Cree Tactical Light

You need to learn to focus on the problem.
The problem is just "energy".
* calculate how much energy you need to drive your application for the given time
* then calculate how long you have to shake your generator for this electrical energy (here we totally miss electrical specification of your shaker generator)
* for more precise analysis you should take "efficiency" into account.

Then decide on your own if you find it useful.

Klaus

I assume "5 Pack Ultra Bright LED Flashlight Torch 7w 300lm Adjustable Focus Zoomable Q5 Cree Tactical Light" is a reference to an advert somewhere.

I very much doubt you would be able to do it with a 'shake' generator. At 4.5V and 7W output it would consume at least 2 Amps (W = V*I) allowing for inefficiencies so even with new good standard batteries it would only last a few minutes. Given the time it takes to re-charge a battery to get appreciable life out of it, you would have to 'shake' for several hours to get a few minutes of light. Even Elvis Presley couldn't manage that! A capacitor with large enough value to sustain 2A discharge over several minutes would be impracticably large.

Brian.

I have two 'emergency' white led flashlights which are human-powered. They make a sound of a small generator which is probably a dc motor.

a) The squeeze light must be worked rapidly. It's always jittery since my hand is moving around. It goes dim as soon as you stop.

b) The windup light has a crank (similar to jack-in-the-box). After several seconds of rapid turning, you can stop and it stays lit for about a minute, gradually going dim. Tutorials suggest power comes from a capacitor rather than a battery.

Crank types are much better than 'shake' types but as Brad points out, the light only lasts briefly. With a high powered LED (room lighting power) it would last significantly less time. "Shake" generators have a coil around the center of a plastic tube which holds a cylindrical magnet. There is a spring at each end of the tube to 'bounce' the magnet back and forth but the motion required to keep it passing through the coil is a fairly violent shake of 30cm (12") or more. One I have here holds charge in a 0.47F capacitor but it takes 5 minutes of considerable effort to light a 5mm white LED for about 30 seconds. The amount of movement needed to keep it lit make it useless as a flashlight!

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.