Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lenovo Or Dell for a $700 gaming laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

djMarko

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone

i'm planning to buy a new laptop with a $700 budget, according to this **broken link removed** and i hesitant between

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p
Processor: Intel Core i5-4200M
Speed: Up to 3.1 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT750M
Graphics Size: Dual Memory
Ram: 6GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 256GB SSD

and

Dell Inspiron 15 7000
Processor: Intel Quad-Core i5-7300HQ
Speed: up to 3.50 GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1050 (4GB)
Graphics Size: 4GB GDDR5
Ram: 8GB DDR4
Hard Drive: 1TB HDD
Battery Life: Up to 5 Hours

it will for gaming only, it will be a primary laptop for all purposes, any advice

I'd probably get the Dell, primarily because it has a higher clock frequency, 4 cores (vs 2), and more and faster memory. From the quick search the GTX 1050 is claimed to be decent for gaming. You can always upgrade the drive to an SSD later when you have more $$$. They also tend to be cheaper if bought outside the "deals" from PC vendors. The primary reason for the same price for the Lenovo with less capable hardware is that SSD drive and the inflated prices PC vendors charge for them.

Besides Lenovo has been in the news about bios level backdoors and other shenanigans. I would avoid them.

I am no expert on gaming, but the Dell appears attractive. More RAM means less page faults. Games will love quad-core and multi-threading. But the graphic size says "Dual Memory" suggests shared RAM which may not be the best (so avoid lenovo)

Dell will be better imho. Anything that can run games well, can do other jobs well too. (most games focus on the display only)

My opinion is the lenovo. Dell emits more heat. if you are going for gaming, lenovo is the best.

Dell emits more heat.

The most power hungry device in the laptop is the CPU; if the laptop is able to push this heat outside, it is good.

If you mean that Dell produces more heat (consumes more power) that may be due to its higher end config. If you mean that lenovo produces less heat (and by inference consumes less power and consequently have longer battery life) but that may not have much to do with performance.

Most games are CPU intensive and they use the display to the max. I am not an expert but I will consider the video output may perhaps be the bottleneck for many games. AND that consumes lots of energy...

I suggest Lenovo. Dell battery life is low and too much heat exhausted from the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back