Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schmitt Trigger vs. Rails vs. Mark/Space Ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

juz_ad

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm using a classic 2x transistor Schmitt Trigger design powered by +/12V rails.

If there was any minor changes in the output voltage of the plus or minus rails - e.g. between different OEM power supplies, or if the rails were operating at e.g +11.75 and -11.50 rather than exactly +/-12V...

...under normal use - would this factor by itself have any effect on the mark/space ratio between the high and low period?

I'm guessing not - but I was curious enough about to want to ask!

Thanks,

/ J

I'm going to make some assumptions... since you refer to Mark & Space, this is serial communications. From the nominal +/- 12 I'd guess it's 232? The thresholds for 232 are +/- 3V, so you could have very different voltages for the + & - rails and it would still work, just maybe not a some distance\speed combinations. Newer 232 chipsets (notably Maxim, but most others as well) don't even look at the -3 anymore but see an idle state at below +1.5, so they are doing more to shift any "symmetry" than you are. You are correct that it will not have any affect when it comes to decoding the signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.