Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic Light control using PIR sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HemZ

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

I am designing automatic light control based on motion detected by PIR sensor (HCSR 501) ,

I am using Optocoupler and triac based circuit to light up the bulb. Anode of Optocoupler has 330Ω and a led connected to it. The issue is in interfacing with PIR sensor, though i have level shifted output of PIR to 5V using transistors(since optocoupler works on 5V) , it does not glow the bulb.

Any suggestions please?

Hi,

I assume too low current for the optocoupler:

maybe the current is (5V - 2.1V - 1.2V ) / 330 Ohms = 5mA.
(1.2V = Optocoupler forward voltage, 2.1V = LED forward voltage. Both are just assumptions)

Klaus

Reactions: HemZ

HemZ

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
P_20170407_101238_1_1.jpg

here is the schematic.

The circuit is driving MOC3021 through 1.8 kohm in total, less than 2 mA LED current which can never trigger the optotriac.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.: The series connected LED would make the circuit fail even with lower source resistance.

Reactions: HemZ

HemZ

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.