Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What rating of TVS diode is suitable for a 220/240 Vac pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akanimo

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What rating of TVS diode is suitable for a 220/240 Vac 1.5-HP pump?

Hi all,

I have a 220/240 Vac, 1.5 HP pump that I am to drive with a relay. I want to suppress the transient voltage and consequent current that will occur (due to the pump coil) at the relay contacts when the contacts are opened using a TVS diode. Which is suitable, 1.5-kW or 3-kW TVS diode?

Last edited:

Re: What rating of TVS diode is suitable for a 220/240 Vac 1.5-HP pump?

Which is suitable, 1.5-kW or 3-kW TVS diode?

Or should it be a higher rated TVS, perhaps 5kW or 15kW? Or is it a bad idea altogether?
Any more information I should add?

Any contribution will help.
What do you think?
Thanks in advance for responding.

--Akanimo.

As far as I'm aware of, TVS diodes are not intended to be used with mains power supply, although this might possible with proper fuses disconnecting it in case of failure. It's more common to use RC snubbers (with respective X2 capacitor rating) or MOV to suppress contact arcing.

Thanks for your response FvM. I had an RC snubber across it already but it didn't seem to be effective enough by itself. That's why I thought of adding the TVS diode also. The components were likely not of moderate values. I will try and optimize the values.

Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back