Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Open drain -- Need high output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston_rds

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone,

I am working on RGB LED cube project. i finished building the cube. but later i found out that the LEDs are common cathode. but I was supposed to use COmmon Anode.
I am using NPIC16C595D shift register which has open drain outputs which can drive the PIN only Low. shift register board is already designed manufactured and soldered.

Now is there any way that I can still use the board with already built LED cube.

how to drive HIGH output from the shift register ?

I know I can use pull up resistor to drive HIGH. and what is the suitable value for the full up resistor ?

There are transistor arrays that can be used to invert your outputs, or you can do it by adding a few discrete components yourself. The circuit in the blue box represents your open drain output.

Attachments

• invert.png
    invert.png
    8 KB · Views: 67

Status
Not open for further replies.