Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

N-Mosfet Can it be Posible Vds<Vgs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhnrgn

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to trig my MCU's 5v level I/O with 24V signal. That is why i am planing to use n-mosfet.

I will connect 24v to gate of my mosfet, I/O to source of n-mosfet and 5 Volt to drain of mosfet. As you can see Vgs is grater than Vds.

I only need voltage level between 4V and 5V at the source of mosfet. Id is not important.

Is it posible?

I am planing to use IRLU014.

https://www.vishay.com/docs/91321/sihlr014.pdf

Thank You.

Any particular reason you need to do it this way. More usual to use an optocoupler with appropriate led resistor I would suggest around 2k2 to give around 10mA depending on which opto you use of course. This is a cheap, reliable and effective way to do it.

Reactions: rhnrgn

rhnrgn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

If you apply 24V at the gate, you are exceeding the maximum Vgs rating of +/- 10V (as given in the datasheet). This will cause the oxide of the MOSFET to damage & the MOSFET will fail.

I recommend using a DC to DC SSR (Solid State Relay). Again it uses a optocoupler for isolation & switching.

rhnrgn

Thank you. 4N35 will help me alot.

Any particular reason you need to do it this way. More usual to use an optocoupler with appropriate led resistor I would suggest around 2k2 to give around 10mA depending on which opto you use of course. This is a cheap, reliable and effective way to do it.

For N-Mosfet to ON, Vgs should be +ve and more than threshold value, in your case it is 2V. and max Vgs in this mosfet is 10V, so one thing is you should select a mosfet which will have Vgs more that 24V. or you can have volt. divider circuit to make 24v less than 10V.

rhnrgn

Status
Not open for further replies.