Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] steps check for multi-layer quadrature coupler in hfss and ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

natnoraa

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have designed a multi-layer quadrature hybrid coupler(can be offset) in HFSS and assigned 4 ports to it as shown:

Untitled.png

Port 1: input
Port 2: transmitted
Port 3: coupled
Port 4: isolated

Step 1: I designed each layer to be a quarter wavelength at the frequency of my interest. Such that Length_1 (top metal layer) = X um. Length_2 (the next metal layer) = Y um
Step 2: Simulate the 4 ports and then port the s4p file to ADS for simulation
Step 3: Connection is as seen:

1.png

Questions:

1) Why can't i connect 1&4, 2&3 in a differential way? (results will be very wrong with k value more than 1). Because usually you'll see port 1,4 on the left side and port 2,3 on the right side (Edit: this is a stupid comment to give am sorry. Could it be because ports 1 and 2 are on the same layer and vice versa for 3 and 4?)
2) Upon configuring as shown, I can use the Z parameters to obtain the Zeven and Zodd to get the values that I want?
3) In HFSS, i should trial and error W1 and W2 for the respective metals and the offset (the overlap length from the cross sectional view) to give me the broadband 90 degree that I want at the range of frequency of my interest?

Any help would be appreciated or even pointing out what I've done wrongly here. Thanks!

Natnoraa

Last edited:

1) Solved. I must go back to HFSS and found that port 3 is actually the transmitted port looking at the phase S31. it leads S21 by about 90 degree and thus port 2 should be the coupled port. By connecting port 1,3 and 2,4 one can get the correct differential results

2) Solved.

3) Solved. Got a phase imbalance of about 4 degrees in the frequency range of interest. not the best but should be okay.

Thanks for viewing

Natnoraa

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back