Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CPLD , FPGA , PAL OR GAL working with 12 volts I/O voltage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

amir_mhdi

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all
Do you know CPLD , FPGA , PAL OR GAL that working with 12v IO pins?
I want to design digital circuit with "shift register" and "Latch" and "XOR" with 12v output voltage.
I design this circuit in discrete mode.I want to pack this circuit to an IC.
Can you help me?
Thanks to all

Hi to all
Do you know CPLD , FPGA , PAL OR GAL that working with 12v IO pins?
I want to design digital circuit with "shift register" and "Latch" and "XOR" with 12v output voltage.
I design this circuit in discrete mode.I want to pack this circuit to an IC.
Can you help me?
Thanks to all

you only way is to use open-drain output, and tie a resistor to 12v, althought i'm not sure it is the right solution for you, cause
you probebly want to drive a load with hi current like a relay or a motor.

thank u , but I dont want to drive the high current load like a relay or ... .
I want only that voltage @ current about 5~10 ma .
I dont want high current. its not important that open-drain IC or not , I want to find IC (FPGA or PAL or GAL or CPLD :-D) for my problem .

The answer is NO. There's no such FPGA/CPLD.
The best you can find is one that can tolerate - 5V on its inputs.

You can use the open drain solution that aruipksni suggest.
You can also use a charge pump boost converter with an OE pin controlled by your logic device.

Please describe what you're trying to do

The answer is NO. There's no such FPGA/CPLD.
The best you can find is one that can tolerate - 5V on its inputs.

You can use the open drain solution that aruipksni suggest.
Indeed. And just to reiterate so you get the point. NO, there is no such fpga or cpld. There, we said it twice, so must be doubleplus true now.

You can indeed use an open drain. I've done this with both coolrunner II and spartan-3e, but you do have to RTFM and make sure that the pullup resistor you use is big enough to limit the pad voltage to a safe limit. Short version is: the clamp diodes will do the work for you. But be advised that this will limit you to fairly low speeds. If you want both 12 volt outputs (and inputs?) and high speed then you will have to use some sort of logic level shifter. For high speed 12 Volt outputs a simple push-pull stage with discrete transistors should do the trick. If you want both inputs and outputs at high speed inputs you really should use a level shifter IMO.

Edit: a quick google around found this list for some examples. If anyone else knows more please add. Always on the lookout for cheaper level shifting solutions. Mostly between 3.3 Volt and lower voltages really...

Last edited:
Indeed. And just to reiterate so you get the point. NO, there is no such fpga or cpld. There, we said it twice, so must be doubleplus true now.

You can indeed use an open drain. I've done this with both coolrunner II and spartan-3e, but you do have to RTFM and make sure that the pullup resistor you use is big enough to limit the pad voltage to a safe limit. Short version is: the clamp diodes will do the work for you. But be advised that this will limit you to fairly low speeds. If you want both 12 volt outputs (and inputs?) and high speed then you will have to use some sort of logic level shifter. For high speed 12 Volt outputs a simple push-pull stage with discrete transistors should do the trick. If you want both inputs and outputs at high speed inputs you really should use a level shifter IMO.

Edit: a quick google around found this list for some examples. If anyone else knows more please add. Always on the lookout for cheaper level shifting solutions. Mostly between 3.3 Volt and lower voltages really...

well, you can check the latest lattice : ispPAC-POWR1014/A, or similar devices - In-System Programmable Power Supply Supervisor,
Reset Generator and Sequencing Controller
and it has 2 outputs that can drive 12v output (small current only).
**broken link removed** ispPAC-power%22

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.