Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ripple factor in fly back converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

veladimir

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello
I'm going to make a offline fly back converter and i have heard that its recommended to set ripple factor to 0.1 to 1.
but all of core i found have big Al (small reloctance) and after wiring they have large inductance even with reasonable air gap. then i have to use very low ripple factor.
I want to know what restrictions is for ripple factor and what will happen when using low ripple factor for example Krf=0.02

thanks

It's usually not a demanded ripple current number that restricts the design and e.g. sets the AL value. It's the other way around: Maximum core flux due to saturation limits or loss considerations requires a maximum AL value and sets a particular current ripple. This means, unless you use an uneconomic large core, you'll hardly achieve 0.02 ripple factor.

It's usually not a demanded ripple current number that restricts the design and e.g. sets the AL value. It's the other way around: Maximum core flux due to saturation limits or loss considerations requires a maximum AL value and sets a particular current ripple. This means, unless you use an uneconomic large core, you'll hardly achieve 0.02 ripple factor.

I choose core according to tables suggested with fairchild datasheets and i set the primary wiring number based on saturation restriction then i have large inductance , where i made mistake that it is not uneconomic ?

best regards

Sounds unlikely. Either the core is larger than necessary, or there's a calculation fault in some step.

Sounds unlikely. Either the core is larger than necessary, or there's a calculation fault in some step.
thank you my friend . you are right ! I have been make a mistake.
but another question !
i read AN4137 fairchild application note but I dont understand design feed back loop section that present one-zero one-pole compensation circuit . what is the necessity of one-zero one-pole compensation circuit ? would you like to
explain more about this issue?

hi
no one has information ?
help me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.