Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to find out the Co and cross polarization of the corrugated horn using hfss

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIVYAROLI

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey i m attaching ma corrugated horn antenna design along wid reults....
pls any1 let me what is the level of cross n co polar polarization...

Attachments

• corrugated horn.rar
    39.7 MB · Views: 333

you can set up an additional radiation far field setup which covers only a short section (say -10<theta<10) and compute antenna parameters over this region. i got the following results for your model. was the relationship between the magnitudes or rEx and rEy what you were looking for ?
i4mck2R.png

i want to know, how i should find out the cross polarization level of dis corrugated horn antenna using HFSS...

Linear polarization for your antenna is achieved along the X axis.

At boresight, dB(GainX) = 20 dB
The cross polarization to this will be dB(GainY) = -24 dB

So the cross pol level is around -44 dB which is very good *.

*note: I have not solved or checked your model for validity. I have merely interpreted the results provided in the attachment.

I am also working on corrugated horn antenna and I am getting co-pol(gainx) +20 dB and cross pol(gainy) -18 dB. But, problem is that I am getting peak in cross pol at boresight. Can you help me in finding reason for the same?

hey as i m interested in to test the cross and copolar level when corrugated antenna is verticaly polarised and horizontally polarized both.....
and how did u know it is lineraly polarized in X direction.....

I am also working on corrugated horn antenna and I am getting co-pol(gainx) +20 dB and cross pol(gainy) -18 dB. But, problem is that I am getting peak in cross pol at boresight. Can you help me in finding reason for the same?

Hi

I did not see this post till now.

As long as there is a large difference between co-pol and cross-pol, it should be fine. It is common to find a small peak at boresight for the cross-pol also. It depends on your antenna design and we cannot make any guesses without talking specifics.

- - - Updated - - -

hey as i m interested in to test the cross and copolar level when corrugated antenna is verticaly polarised and horizontally polarized both.....
and how did u know it is lineraly polarized in X direction.....

X, Y are just names labels given to the different axes. In your setup, the E-field vectors were all pointing and oscillating only along the X direction (thus linearly polarized along X).

This can also be seen through the component of E-field vector being maximum along X. (i.e. rEx >> rEy and rEx >> rEy at the far field observation point)

hey as i am new and dnt have much experience with hfss.....
Will u help me how to change the E field vectors to Y directions ...so

One simple way is to rotate your input setup by 90 deg about the Z axis.

Then your modes will now also change their alignment and you will get the opposite linear polarization. (i.e. E aligned along Y)

In the given design,corrugated horn is excited using circular wveguide which is excited using waveport and the number of modes used is 2 in +X and +Y direction,so how i could rotate my input setup in HFSS

Hi

As long as there is a large difference between co-pol and cross-pol, it should be fine. It is common to find a small peak at boresight for the cross-pol also. It depends on your antenna design and we cannot make any guesses without talking specifics.
Now, I am getting very good response. co polarization is 21 dB and cross polarization is now -62 dB

- - - Updated - - -

just by giving modes in reverse order. means, if you have define 1st mode in x direction, then replace it by giving it in y direction and 2nd one in the x direction in place of y direction. k?

Hi

Now, I am getting very good response. co polarization is 21 dB and cross polarization is now -62 dB

- - - Updated - - -

just by giving modes in reverse order. means, if you have define 1st mode in x direction, then replace it by giving it in y direction and 2nd one in the x direction in place of y direction. k?

Looks good to me.

One simple way is to rotate your input setup by 90 deg about the Z axis.

Then your modes will now also change their alignment and you will get the opposite linear polarization. (i.e. E aligned along Y)[/QUOTE/]

we design inx-y plane then how to change input setup by 90 abt z?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back