Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replace my 256M (4M x 4 Banks x 16 bit) SDRAM Memory to 512M (8M x 4 Banks x 16 bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggdip

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I'm trying to replace my 256M (4M x 4 Banks x 16 bit) SDRAM Memory to 512M (8M x 4 Banks x 16 bit) SDRAM Memory (pin compatible).

I have 32 bit CPU (SDRAM interface runs at 133 MHz clock frequency) using higher and lower addresses bits, for 2 of such devices:
1. I think i can do it without any problems am i correct? What could be the limitations?
2. I also had problem to find the exact clock frequency devices. would a 143 MHz SDRAM work for such configuration? What could be the limitations?

Thanks!

Re: Can I use SDRAM 133Mhz with clock 100Mhz or belower?

256M and 512M SDRAM have different page sizes. Software changes might be required to handle it.

Wouldn't it be considered as overclocking, won't it affect system stability?

I suppose you're right it is under-clocking.
So if i understand the issue correct if i'll use the 144 MHz rated SDRAM with 133 MHz SDRAM controller clock frequency,
the system simply will operate in 133 MHz clock frequency?

The RAM doesn't have a clock generator on board it works with the clock that the system feeds , if that is 133MHz then the RAM will work @133MHz

How about using DDR or DDR2 instead of older SDRAM how would matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.