Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How much current over twisted pair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnadyr

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking into KNX communication over twisted pair for a network I am designing. I should be able to draw 2-3 Amperes, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much current I can draw over twisted pair? If anyone has any KNX-experience, I would like some information on this since much documentation is in german which I don't understand.

Thank you.

Do you refer to CAT5 + RJ45 connections? It will be mainly restricted by the standard connector current rating of 1.5 A. Voltage drop according to different AWG and cable length has to be calculated, cable current rating won't be an issue in the discussed range.

I dont think KNX communication requires much heavy current. Could you tell me what devices would you be controlling through this cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.