Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working of router in Bridge mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

aneesholv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai

Can You explain the working of router in "bridge mode". ( suppose my router have three ethernet interface ) . Which circumstance we use router in bridge mode .

Regards
Aneesh

A linksys wrt54g is "default" a router with 3 interfaces (vlans).
The WiFi vlan is bridged to the inside vlan , to make the wireless clients appear as if they were connected with a wire to the inside (4.port switch).

A bridge is connecting interfaces on layer 2 , a router is connectng them on layer 3.

/Bingo

Aneesh a router bridging 3 ethernet interfaces is layer 2 switching and in this configuration is not routing at all; IP is routed via gateway device (router) to another network (different sub-net); layer 3 routing.

Btw you owe me 100€ for helping you with your last homework assignment; lol

tia

Bingo600 typically after the radio de-modulates the radio packet it then strips off the 802.11 header and sends it out on the erthernet interface, no vlan's or sub-netting required as all components in this scenario share the same sub-net. Only if you have multiple WLAN’s mapped to various vlan's (ethernet sub-interfaces) will the AP even add any .1q data to the 802.3 frame. That’s why typically in say a Cisco environment you config a BVI interface and not the radio or Ethernet port for layer 3 so the AP will do nothing but strip off the 802.11 header and sent it on the wire.

btw while I know what a wrt45g is I can’t speak about it technically as the only WLAN gear I see is real IT gear, Moto Cisco Aruba whatever?

Bingo600 typically after the radio de-modulates the radio packet it then strips off the 802.11 header and sends it out on the erthernet interface, no vlan's or sub-netting required as all components in this scenario share the same sub-net. Only if you have multiple WLAN’s mapped to various vlan's (ethernet sub-interfaces) will the AP even add any .1q data to the 802.3 frame.
I agree.
But how many people , not knowing the difference between layer2/layer3 , has ever heard of (ethernet sub-interfaces)

Thats why i chose a "Box" the OP might have seen.

That’s why typically in say a Cisco environment you config a BVI interface and not the radio or Ethernet port for layer 3 so the AP will do nothing but strip off the 802.11 header and sent it on the wire.
Welll .....
In a simple Cisco config (aka. single SSID) you are prob correct , all you need to configre the BVI , and map it to/on the FE.
This also applies to most multi-"home" SSID installations i have met , where the users have a "private ssid" , and a "guest ssid". The meaning of that setup was to to be able to set/change the guest WPA static key (for guests), without having to change the key on all their own pc's. Not to separate the traffic.

In corp. i have normally always seen a 1:1 mapping between SSID & a different vlan on the "wire".

I know my security depp would get a fit if , i FSCK'ed up the ssid->vlan mapping , or even worse forgot it.
And the 802.11 packets ended up in "Native vlan"

And in our setup Cisco-lwapp's with 5500 controllers , the wireless data tunneled home via capwap.
And all your WiFi-Clients appear as if they were connected directly to/on the 5500 Controller.

As yoou prob. know , that makes seamless roaming between ap's easy. As the controller automatically (gre)tunnels the enduser's WiFi connection to(via) the ap he's connected to.

btw while I know what a wrt45g is I can’t speak about it technically as the only WLAN gear I see is real IT gear, Moto Cisco Aruba whatever?

I have been writing/modifying DD-WRT to suit my own needs , and thats why i suggested the wrt54g example.
As the wrt54g behaves excactly as i describe above.

You could even make a 5-port/IF firewall from it , as each of the 4 "inside switchports" are vlan mappable , and therefore can be. a new/different layer3 IF.

Edit:
Would you care to explain why a wrt54g isn't real IT Gear ?
The wrt54G is an excellent box (allthough it maxes out when routing/forwarding approx 26Mb)
I can't seem to understand why a user should use a $1000 Cisco-1142 , if a $60 Linksys fits the bill.

/Bingo

Last edited:

One more question. When router working in Bridge mode, is it broadcast arp request to all of its interfaces like a Layer 2 switch ?

A bridge is a layer2 connection , and layer2 connections are always member of the same broadcastdomain.
There's a few exceptions , but they are uncommon (an in non-standard)
You can actually have some firewalls working in layer2 mode (transparent firewalls) , and they would be able to block. Linux (wrt54g) have ebtables (look it up)

But a normal bridge is a layer2 connection , and must therefore forward all mac-layer packets.

Edit:
The router won't forward broadcasts to all it's interfaces.
Only the ones in the same layer2 broadcastdomain (IF's bridged together)

So the linksys-wan IF (layer 3) won't see the arp request.
This makes sense , as it won't be able to resolve the arp request it's member of another subnet.

/Bingo

Last edited:
You mean when router in bridge mode ,it won't forward broadcasts to all it's interfaces.I have one more doubt , Does router reformat the incoming packet when it is in bridge mode ( I mean whether source mac and ip will change ) ?

regards
Aneesh

Aneesh stop saying router in bridge mode its making me crazy, just think of it as a layer 2 switch.
A layer 2 switch will forward a broadcast packet out of all its interfaces without any change in the IP header.

Edit:
Would you care to explain why a wrt54g isn't real IT Gear ?
The wrt54G is an excellent box (allthough it maxes out when routing/forwarding approx 26Mb)
I can't seem to understand why a user should use a $1000 Cisco-1142 , if a $60 Linksys fits the bill.

No I’m not saying that a home user should spend $1000 on a Moto 7131 vs $50 for some consumer grade AP; just that professionally I never see anything but Cisco ect; even at home I have several wifi options from a Moto 6532 to a Cisco 1162. Oh I almost forgot I’ve got controllers too, WS5100’s, and both 2100 and 4400 Cisco controllers.
By asking me that question are you saying that wrt45g is a enterprise class piece of gear?

By asking me that question are you saying that wrt45g is a enterprise class piece of gear?

Certainly not enterprise , but i do consider it real IT-Gear.
Just destined for another user segment.

I have a Linksys@home that has been running for 6+ years , without any hw-errors.

I have a lot of Cisco's with PoE Injectors , where the PSU lasted 3 years.
The AP is stable (super stable) , but their 48v PSU's die.
So lately we have begun to install PoE switches , even if there's only 2 AP's on the site.

/Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.