Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help need to discharge capacitor in given circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mguptamel

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am a newbie in electronics and trying to get grasp of capacitors. I am unable to discharge capacitor in attached circuit. So far the circuit is doing the following

1) RC network to turn-on LED after a given time, for example, T seconds.

2) Once LED is turned-on I want to discharge capacitor so that cycle begins again. But I am unable to do this at this moment. PLEASE HELP.

simpleCircuit1.png

You need to connect a second transistor across the capacitor, emitter to earth, collector to the junction of the capacitor and the base connection. If you feed current into the base of this transistor then it will draw collector current and discharge the capacitor. If you connect the base to earth via a resistor then the second transistor will be turned off and the capacitor will charge up.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back