Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Types of transistor models and differences between them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward_2288

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I always heard designers talk about the transistor model, e.g. bsim level 3, lev
el 1, etc.

So, I have some questions regarding this.

1. how many models do we have?
2. what are the differences between them?
3. when should we use for a particular model?

thanks.

re transistor models

1. A lot of. Besides every simulator can has it's own models.
2. IV equation are different. Some of them use simple equation some - complicated
3. Model selection is a trade off between simulation accuracy and simulation time

Transistor Model

To your question 3: I think we'd better use what's the best available to us. :)

Re: Transistor Model

So much models are unuseful in my opinion: every manufacturer gives two or three models (linear or nonlinear) bu nobody gives the RMS error of theese models. Tipically that the uncertainity on S parameter's phase is 20 degrees abs. for small signal process(due to process). The better way is to design so that the transistor's parameters are not important and give-up with so complicated models.

Transistor Model

Who have experience about using SiGe technology to design IC?

Hi rfic:

What's your inquiry regarding?.

Rgds

You can read HSPICE manual to get their difference.
As a IC designer, usually we can't deice which model is used because it is provided by foundry.

Transistor Model

so currently, which model is the best one?

It depends on the foundry you use. Don't worry about which is the best > The foundry will give it to you depend on which technology you are using

Most commonly used model is bsim3, but it has some drawback. Every model have their drawback and advantage.

in idustries people use bsim3V3 models [/b]

Transistor Model

so can i say that bsim3v3 is the most popular in industry?

Transistor Model

As for models of CMOS technology,Bsim,EKV and MOS9 are popular! Bsim is enough for digital design.EKV is good for analog design.MOS9 is philips's model.

what is EKV model ?? i dont think i know this one.. can someone reply back? thanks.
srivatsan

Here is the info
**broken link removed**

From 0.8u and deeper the most adequate model is bsim3v3; from 0.1u and
deeper you must take into account gate tunneling effect, exessive laekage, so you must use bsim4. EKL mode best suitable for subthreshold mode of operation.

there are a lot of models.every foundry has it's own models .

Transistor Model

As they said there are a lot of different model.
Every model comes with related sets of model parameters that are extracted by the foundary
according to that particular model's requirement.
So you have to use appropriate model that support the model parameter supported by the foundary.
Some times, you get several sets of models at the same time for the same technology, at that time
it is related to your believe which model is the best. Bsim4 right now is the industry standart and the measured data fits very closely with the simulation results.

CMOS:
EKV, BSIM3V3, BSIM4 , ...
Bipolars:
SGP, VBIC, Mextram, Hicum (for advanced bipolars)

Edward_2288 said:
Hi,

I always heard designers talk about the transistor model, e.g. bsim level 3, lev
el 1, etc.

So, I have some questions regarding this.

1. how many models do we have?
2. what are the differences between them?
3. when should we use for a particular model?

thanks.

please check this forum:

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back