Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Under linux, May I run softwares installed on solaris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harryzhu

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, everyone

I operate on one linux PC, Can I run some softwares installed on solaris 2.6 based on SPARC?

BTW, I have a special EDA tools server and install all tools on it, then set it as NFS server and share the installation directory. At the same time I have a special powerful server as data server, which share a large partition(/etc/auto.home) and make as all users $HOME path. When I login from third machine($HOME on data server), and use those tools, which machine am I using more? that is, which machine should be more powerful to meet my necessary?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Harryzhu

you can use ssh on linux and login on solaris (ssh redirect output)

in linux

$ ssh -l user_name_solaris name_server_solaris
type your password
$ application

the application(on solaris) run on linux :)

Any shell script maybe run fine because of a lot of compability
Any perl script will run fine.

But I am not aware you can run solaris programs in linux.

but:
Solaris 10 will run Linux programs
**broken link removed**

Lxrun is a user-space program that allows users of SCO(r) OpenServer(tm), UnixWare(tm), and Sun(r) Solaris(tm) x86 operating systems to run ELF and a.out format Linux binaries
**broken link removed**

You also can run Linux apps in FreeBSD for sure. Just in FreeBSD installation or later compilation enable this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.