Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quadrature upmixer LO leakage power level increases as input IF power level increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wccheng

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I have designed a quadrature upmixer. However, I found a strange things about the LO leakage power level. I still could not find out the reason. I hope anyone could give me some suggestions. My case is as follow:
Input IF = 10MHz
LO = 2000MHz
Output up-converted RF = 2010MHz
As I increased the IF power level, the up-converted RF power should increase. This is very normal. However, I found the LO leakage power level also increased too. Originally, I think the up-converted RF power level will change accordingly based on the input IF power level. The LO leakage power level will not change even input IF power level changed. However, this is not. Why will this happen? I simulated in schematic level. So, it would not be caused by the parasitic capacitor in layout.

Thanks,

Ideally the diodes in a mixer function as switches that are controlled solely by the voltage swings of the LO. As the RF/IF increases in power, this will influence the switching action of the diodes which definitely leads to worse spurious performance and worse RF/IF leakage, and I suppose also to worse LO leakage.

A good rule of thumb is to keep the LO 20-30 dB higher than RF/IF.

Just a typical Gilbert cell mixer structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back