Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] changing the old cable to fit the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdg007

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an old printer cable (usb to rs-232),i want to change it to new version cable (usb - to usb).I have um-232 driver,but that is only used to computer com port,is there any drivers i can use for printer port side which converts rs-232 to usb levels ? any suggestions would help.

kdg007 said:
is there any drivers i can use for printer port side which converts rs-232 to usb levels ?
I have never used it with printer, but in general you could use any USB to RS-232 cable, bought by the local PC accessories shop.

63_1335711483.jpg

A CD with its drivers should be included, even though it is better to download the latest drivers from the web.

Also I recently saw in another post, a really nice adapter like the following:
https://electronics-diy.com/electronic_schematic.php?id=565
But I didn't really make a market search on such an adapter.

this is the cable i have.... but i want to change the rs-232 side to usb (type b)

this one (i want to keep this cable as it is)
aaa.jpg

into this

usb-printer-cable.jpg
... this is something i want to try out.. what are the complications ?

Last edited:

So it looks like the only thing you are missing is a very small extension just for the adaption right?

23_1335715009.jpg

That is you need one edge to be USB type b and the other edge to be RS-232, did I get that right?

aaa.jpg

-
Computer USB TYP A to printer USB type b ... the conversion i want. Usally it is easy to transfer from usb to rs-232 /rs-232 to rs-232 .. but i want to know whether it can be possible to do rs-232 to usb ...

.. what are the complications ?

The blue cable has a circuit in the RS232 side plug so when plugged in the USB it is recognized as a virtual 232 port.
The grey cable is just a USB wire, there is no circuitry at all so unless your device is USB you can't use it.

What are you trying to connect to the PC and what plug does it have?
Is is a 232 printer?

Alex

Curiously, you are only talking about cables, although it's basically an USB device interface problem. Which USB devices do you want to access from which application through which USB driver? "USB to RS-232" sounds like an serial port adapter (e.g. FTDI or similar chip). Replacing it by an USB cable requires an USB capable device, e.g. a printer. But you didn't mention a specific USB device.

Reactions: kdg007

kdg007

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
the printer has a usb type b ...
-
yes, the blue cable uses max 232(or similar chip) which converts the levels to rs-232 levels. i want to do the revers ,to converts back to usb levels and give it to printer.

**broken link removed**
i could simply use this cable . but i want to utilize my old printer cable.

i want to know whether it can be possible to do rs-232 to usb ...

The blue cable is already an RS232 to USB adapter and the data can be transfered both ways (bidirectional) so I still can't understand what you are trying to do.

Since you have a usb printer why don't you use a simple USB cable like the Grey in your picture, why do you want to use a 232 cable?

Alex

kdg007

think i am not giving a clear question.
here is the thing. i have printer with usb port.But i have an old printer cable.i want to utilize that to my new printer.but the old printer cable has different plug(db9-rs232),i want to change or fix an external converter to fit my printer plug. hope this clears what i am trying to do.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Curiously, you are only talking about cables, although it's basically an USB device interface problem. Which USB devices do you want to access from which application through which USB driver? "USB to RS-232" sounds like an serial port adapter (e.g. FTDI or similar chip). Replacing it by an USB cable requires an USB capable device, e.g. a printer. But you didn't mention a specific USB device.
yes,its an usb interface problem.Like i said,i need to figure out conversion levels . the blure cable already converts the usb to rs-232 levels,but if i convert it back ,will it work the same ?

If you use the 232 cable (assuming that you can make it work somehow) then your USB printer will not be recognized from the printer driver and even if it was the connection would be much slower because of the 232 specification.

This is not about the signal level, the two protocols are completely different , if you use an adapter between the printer and PC you prevent the printer from being recognized.

kdg007

i`m a newbie so trying to understand.
what do u mean by different protocols ?i dont concern about the speed right now. i want to know how this stuff works.

the blure cable already converts the usb to rs-232 levels,but if i convert it back ,will it work the same ?
No way. You would need an USB host to drive the printer. The only reasonable way is to connect the USB printer to the computer's USB port. Unfortunately, a windows printer isn't accessible as a serial port. The windows printer interface is designed to provide graphic printing capabilties. It does also allow simple character printing but not so straightforward as a serial port.

kdg007

kdg007

hmm... it sounds impossible to use this cable.Is any slight possible way to utilize this cable to printer ? maybe a debug circuit ?

RS-232 creates virtual COM ports, but you need the printer to be recognized by windows as a USB device with an ID, so RS-232 cable is not suitable for this purpose.

kdg007 said:
hmm... it sounds impossible to use this cable.Is any slight possible way to utilize this cable to printer ? maybe a debug circuit ?
I can't understand why you insist on the old cable, just use the proper cable for your case.

kdg007

RS-232 creates virtual COM ports, but you need the printer to be recognized by windows as a USB device with an ID, so RS-232 cable is not suitable for this purpose.

I can't understand why you insist on the old cable, just use the proper cable for your case.
I try different things to learn more. i could able to got more info into this issue.

The 232 cable will only be useful if you ever use a microcontroller with UART (or an FPGA board) , you can use the cable to connect them to the PC.
It can also be used to connect a SIM wireless module which uses a 232 port if you ever work with one.
It can be used with anything that can communicate through RS232.

Alex

kdg007

Status
Not open for further replies.