Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Force FPGA initialization

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaf20

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all my friend
Imagine we have a FPGA board and want to write series of information as a FPGA's initialization data.
which method/sulotion u will choose ? u r free to have any assumption !
Tnx in advance

hi,
you can configure the fpga via jtag-interface directly (with a parallel or usb jtag cable) or you can program a serial flash with the configuration data which is connected to the fpga. another methode is to configure the fpga with the help of an microcontroller.
greetings,
hqqh

If you wish to have the information inserted in the bit file, you can use the RAM block as ROM. You then provide, to the synthesizer, the binary content file of those RAM block.

If you with to provide the information outside of the FPGA bit file, for example, when the FPGA is starting, that it load some initialization data externally, then you can use a serial EEPROM, with a small core to send the EEPROM info to the FPGA memory.

Are you going to develop that board or are you going to buy that board?

If you are buying it then, it will come with a PROM (OTP or Flash based) and with a JTAG connection so that you can use JTAG (!mpact with X!linx devices) to programm it.

If you are going to develop your own board there are different methods you can use. I would recommend JTAG for prototypes and Flash for manufacturing, you can use part of general purpose Flash, you can even have several FPGA images on it.

-maestor

hi my friends
my init. data is not pure Bit file , may be text file is considered !
u can imagin any txt2bin app. or send this file to parallel port directly and FPGA convert data itself using for initalization.
any idea or comment
tnx 4 yr reply

Yes,

A TXT to BIN application is a VHDL to BIT file application :) or what is the same a synthesis tool and a P&R tool.

I am not sure what you want to do yet m8. The TXT file is coded how?

regards,

-maestor

Status
Not open for further replies.