Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Load Switch circuit help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaccabee

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need to provide a high side load switch for a power supply coming from a battery...
i.e. 12V Battery > High side switch> DC voltage at Load rated at 5A
The load switch should be able to detect open/short, over load conditions.
My question is if I’m using an N channel device then I should use some sort of charge pump driver that will be switched by some PWM signal...
Then I should drive it with 100% duty maybe I dunno since it is a power supply output to sensors,dc dc converters etc..
My concern is that by doing so is
1. Will it give a clean supply or will I be adding switching noise to my otherwise clean 12V?(leaving transients and other issues)
2. Will 100% or close duty cycle will cause some problems in high side N channel driver??
Will the mosfet turn on will get affected?

So Is there a better solution with an integrated P channel mosfet high side driver with continuous ON time may be no PWM necessary??

Thanks for any help,
Regards

Not so clear for me, is this power supply dedicated to be connected directly at 12V battery?
Or there’s a need for a voltage regulator in-between?

I think the best solution is an integrated P channel mosfet high side driver with continuous ON time…

Look for "hot swap controller" to find ICs meant for this with
the sort of bells and whistles you want.

I've seen some charge-pumped NMOS controllers recently.
These will give you good failsafe blocking and let you use
a cheaper FET.

If timing is not a concern for you, why not you use PMOS with slow start RC circuit? This should be simple and low cost.

For variable output voltage/higher load switching/large difference in output and supply voltage, switching regulators are best choice, but if you want a fixed output voltage, try some charge pump or linear regulators.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Provide more detail about load power required, and regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.