Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How avoiding ground loop effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

glias

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
I have question about PCB preference to route a signal which come from a sensor. The sensor have two wires for each detector's cell (IR photoconductive sensor with 8 independant cells : means that each cell have two wires); one of this lead must be connected to the ground of my amplifier board, and the other one is the signal connected to the input of the single ended input of the preamp. I'm wondering what is the best way to minimize the noise and common loop. Does the ground plane permit to minimize the ground loop ? (since it reduces the inductive and resistive effect) ? or is it better to have two wire (pcb tracks) on the board and then connect in one point to GND plane ?
I suppose I will have more crosstalk with a common ground plane, but I also don't want to have loop effect with a pair of wire (with one which is the ground).
See the attached file.

regards.

Attachments

• Ground loop.pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 130

In the circuit shown there is no ground loop is formed as long as the sensors are isolated. But in the circuit no biasing arrangement is shown for photo conductive type sensor.

Hello,
thanks a lot for your reply. Yes you're right I didn't show the bias stage of the detector. Well I'm not sure that I understand well the ground loop effect :
For me a ground loop is formed when there is a difference of voltage between two points which are normally at the same voltage level. Since a PCB track have a particular width and length (for example the 2sd solution, the ground is simply a pcb track) produce a resistance and inductive effects.
The ground plane permit to reduce those effects and therefore improve the "ground loop" but increases crosstalk effect because the current flow in the GND plane. Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited:

Hey buddy!
You should know that the analog and digital ground should being match together at one point ! if you match them from each side of circuit , you will have (Impedance , noise , etc ) Problems!
Sincerely
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.