Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Understanding the Miller effect properly

mirror_pole

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I have a question regarding the miller effect i actually never thought about. For a simple common source stage small signal imput impedance contains Cdg(1+gmRout), which represents the Miller effect. What i dont quit understand is, do i really have bigger (physical) capacitance because of this effect, or how do i have to think about it? Depending on the operation region rds can vary and therefore Cdg(1+gmRout). That means that the gate drain capacitance seeing from the input is somehow variable, depending on the operation region of the MOSFET ?

It is a magic of negative feedback lowering impedance seen into feedback system.
Physically, you have difference in signal amplitude seen at the Capacitor both ends, but Capacitor capacitance is unchanged.

The expression is the "effective" capacitance - in the regions
where you have gain, signal will behave "as if".

But as far as storing 100-1000X the electrical energy, that's
a hard "no!".

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back