Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using TLVH431 for SMPS with Vout=36V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I wish to use the TLVH431 to get opto-isolated feedback in an SMPS.

The problem is that this SMPS has an output voltage of 36V, and the maximum allowable cathode voltage of TLVH431 is 20V.

Do you think that it is possible to use the TLVH431 here?

Is it right that all I have to do is simply put a 20V zener in series with RS inn the following schematic?
-and then I am safe?

SCHEMATIC:
https://i51.tinypic.com/30skly9.jpg

TLVH431 DATASHEET:
https://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tlvh431.pdf

RELEVANT ARTICLE:
Article: Biasing the TL431 for improved output impedance :
**broken link removed**

hi

thankyou for reminding me of that thread, which i have read many times, and each time i learn something new.

but the zener in that thread, in my opinion is placed wrongly............the way it is in thread 143544, it would badly affect transient performance, and also be wasteful of energy

do you agree?

I think the place for the zener is in series with RS in the schematic of my post above top.(?)

The TLVH431 does not care what its cathode voltage is, (as long as its below 20v )......all it does is draw as much current through its cathode as it takes to keep its reference terminal at VREF = 1.24V (?)

Last edited:

The transient compensation is actually affected by the zener diode circuit, for that reason, the circuit had been changed later on. The main reason for shunt connection of the zener diode is the high output voltage of 200 V. In your case, a series connection may be the easy way.

Reactions: eem2am

eem2am

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.