Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is front end transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bor

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guy.. i am again need you all help..what is front end transmitter? tq

Basically the front end of a RF transmitter is composed of an Upconversion Mixers/Balanced Modulators, Voltage Controlled Oscillator, Bandpass Filters and Power Amplifiers.

hrkhari is right. The front end also contains the preselector which helps eliminate image frequencies (if we are talking superheterodyne and we most likely are).

The front end conditions the signal. First, most likely, there will be some form of band pass filtering (like the preselector). The signal will be amplified (RF amplifiers) and converted to the proper Intermediate frequency (IF frequency) by using non linear mixing (the balanced modulator or mixer). Basically you tune either over or under the incoming frequency by an amount equal to the IF frequency. This ensures the rest of the receiver can be designed for the IF frequency, which makes design must easier and more pratical (think in terms of mass production). After the non-linear mixing you have to filter to get rid of the unwanted products. For example, take an FM radio:

***Start of Front End***
Preselector in

RF Amplifier to boost the incoming signal

non-linear mix to get the signal down to the IF frequency

Bandpass filter to get rid of the unwanted products
***End of Front End***

Next are the IF amplifiers (which are not part of the front end).

thanx U both of u i really appreaciate it.. since i am new in this field..

Status
Not open for further replies.