Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the reason of Voltage drop on PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDA_hg81

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a stack PCB with top PCB and bottom PCB.

The +5V on bottom board is powered from top board.

Current situation is, when the top board and bottom board are attached, the +5V dropped down to +3.6V. I have confirmed the +5V power plane is not shortcut to ground.

After all components connected with +5V power plane are removed, the +5V is still dropped to +3.6V.

Please let me know what is this problem?

Thanks.

If you said all components have been removed, disconnect the bottom PCB that causes trouble and using an ohm-meter measure resistance between +5V and 0V ..
There has to be “something” that causes this voltage drop, for example a solder or copper bridge ..

IanP
:wink:

Those boards are assembled by machines. How this can happen?

Thanks.

I guess contamination during manufacturing is one possibility but the most common cause I have come across is splashing of the tin during hot air leveling causing an almost invisible short.

Keith

Thank you for you answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back