Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a question about the Q of high order LPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidwx

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Since we know that a high order filter can realised by a series of several stages.I am wondering what the exact ralationship between the quality factor of each stage and the quanlity factor of overall.Thank you very much!

Since we know that a high order filter can realised by a series of several stages.I am wondering what the exact ralationship between the quality factor of each stage and the quanlity factor of overall.Thank you very much!

1.) It is correct that each stage has a different quality factor; however, the relationship between these different Q values depends on the approximation chosen (Butterworth, Chebyshev, Bessel,...)
2.) An "overall" quality factor can be given only in case of a bandpass. But remember this overall Q has another definition as the pole Q for each stage.
LvW

1.) It is correct that each stage has a different quality factor; however, the relationship between these different Q values depends on the approximation chosen (Butterworth, Chebyshev, Bessel,...)
2.) An "overall" quality factor can be given only in case of a bandpass. But remember this overall Q has another definition as the pole Q for each stage.
LvW

suppose that i choose Chebyshev II polynomial to approximate the transfer function,what the relationship i could expect.Thank you again!

David, you certainly know that there are several Chebyshev II alternatives depending on
* the degree of the transfer function, and
* the amount of damping in the stop band (zero placement).

More than that, it is not possible to give any relation between the Q values for a selected characteristic. These values result from the transfer function based on the Chebyshev polynoms when it is split into 2nd order expressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back