Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need to convert a music synthesizer from 110V to 230V.Voltage and fuse questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

projectwoofer

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello to everyone!

I'm new here and I have a rather elementary question. I live in Europe but just bought a rackmount synthesizer from the states...the Roland D-550.

So, I need to convert it to european voltage and have some questions: I've read the service manual and the power supply is universal and has slots for 100V, 117V, 220V and 240V...My country is on 230V, which one should I choose? 220V or 240V?

Moreover, the power supply uses 2 fuses:

1. The main fuse (F1) is a 315mA 250V and should be changed to a 160mA T 250V fuse..I do have a spare 400mA T 250V fuse but I suppose I should not use it?

2. The second fuse (F2) is a 1.25A N1 250V and should be changed to a 1.25A T 250V...do I really need to change this one too or to change the main fuse is enough?

Thanks a lot for any help!

On question one, always follow the manufactures instructions(destructions). The price of a fuse vs the price of your new toy is not worth the risk.

On the second question start out at 240. Putting a lower voltage in than what its designed for is the safer of the two options, but my bet is either will work. Chances are the power supply is a switcher and they tend to handle a wide range of voltages.

Reactions: noobler

noobler

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
On question one, always follow the manufactures instructions(destructions). The price of a fuse vs the price of your new toy is not worth the risk.

On the second question start out at 240. Putting a lower voltage in than what its designed for is the safer of the two options, but my bet is either will work. Chances are the power supply is a switcher and they tend to handle a wide range of voltages.

This is from the service manual. Can you tell if it's a switcher or not?

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

I need to have at least 3 posts for a link...

Ok, so the synthesizer arrived and I changed the voltage and the fuse!

Now I noticed that the cable that came with it says: 7A, 125V...does this mean that I cannot use it on 220V? It's the 2 prong 110V style but I have a small adapter to 220V 2-prong and tried to connect to mains for a while and was OK...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back