Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is hot-topic in digital design now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eexuke

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anybody share any idea? I think SoC maybe one.

Hi dude,
the market is hot for verification, yes on the designing side there are a few cool things yes SoC is definately, but seriously verification is hot

RF+Mixed signal+DSP
those are the base of many consumer electronic produces.

For different country, different hot pot. For asia due to its low cost a lot of design houses bring up, but for NA system design is hot. And market is more important than design comlexity.

DSP is really hot. What bout Software Defined Radio? What about Multimedia?

Keep in mind that not just digitalis what matters... The important thing is to make it useful with the real world, real SIGNALS.

JaaC

In China, I think the hottest areas include
1)mobile (like GSM/CDMA RF chip, PHS SOC, etc),
2) consuming elec(mp3, Digital Camera),
3) image/video (MPEG2/4)

In multimedia area, I think the compression would no doubt be the hot topic. From my prospective, with the coming of wireless communication
everywhere, the digital broadcasting TV(no video decoder ,de-interlaced)
needed , a video bitstream contains more channels, & the web-camera
applications.DSC ,DV ... All these field needs compression, those who can
provide better efficiency & quality will be a big-hit in the market.

dynoboy said:
the market is hot for verification

I think the phase of verification now is depending on the EDA tools.
When the functions and the size of a chip is growing, the verification complexity is growing. We have to depend on the tools to finish the work. So the competition are between the EDA Ltd.

In China, SoC will sure be hot!
More and more college students are beginning by programming with HDL,and at the same time,try to grasp some fundamentals about the
SoC Methodologies.
The great cosumer electronics market will guide the design patern to
satisfy the need of Low-energy-cost and quick respond to the need of
consumer.
SoC will sure win!

hot techniques in the ASIC design maybe :SOC( digital ,analog, software)
but hot projects are DSP related: wireless, LCD driver, MPEG and low end consumer electronics

In my opinion UWB.

T Zul

Broadband Digital Circuits for Fiber Optics

Current Mode Logic in Bipolar/CMOS

I think low power chip for consumer, such as Mobile phone, PDA, and wireless lan.

Hi
i think....WLAN with ASIC and Embeded is hot.....
AUDIO and VIDEO processing with DSP is hot...
Mixed Signal processing with VHDL-AMS is hot....
Network processor is really the hootest area nowadays...

Network processor is really the hootest area nowadays...

jay_ec_engg:

Could you please explain me better what you think will be the future probable NP architectures?
I have no knowledge in this filed but I'am VERY intrested.

Which are the tasks of a NP?Is it reasonable to think on a die A LOT of NP instantiated to make layer 3 jobs?

Is it possible to implement a router engine in one ASIC with HIGH performances and HIGH speed (.....64 ports @ 40Gb/s each....@1Ghz or more....???.....)

i think FPGA is hot. i havent done much in digital design. ive just played with basic logic function ICs and that sort of things. but i have read alot about the new trends in digital design. FPGA is revolutionizing this field.

I agree that verification is hot. Since not so many designers are willing to do testing, this area is lack of experts. (Many verification engineers started out as designers.) Also as circuit complexity is growing, verification methodology is not keeping up quite well. Specman Elite is a pretty good verification tool, with capability to generate random tests (or targeted random tests), which saves a lot of development effort in filtering out bugs. It also contain coverage analysis, which benchmarks the functional coverage of your testbench.

Other than that I think DSP, embedded controller area is pretty hot.

dram

Logic design for high speed serial link seems to be a very hot topic right now, just look at all those standards:

XAUI, PCI-EXPRESS, SATA etc

System or behavioral synthesis is.
The EDA history has the following steps:
- PCB automation;
-Logic synthesis;
-RTL synthesis;
-Behavioral synthesis.
The latter starts not far and will be continue for tenths of years.
None prominent behavioral EDA tool is not in the market.
Application specific behavioral tools are of demand and can be designed by a single advanced programmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back