Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with transient analysis of a vco in cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcink

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi. i am working on designing in schematic of cadence a vco at 77GHz (13ps the period of the signal). The problem is that when i use transient analysis, i see the circuit oscillating and working fine only if the simulation time is equal to or lower than 1 nanosec. If the simulation time is larger than 1ns, the circuit doesn't seem to oscillate at all!!! This is paradox! Has this problem occured to anyone? help please!

Thanks

use parameter "max step" to define maximum simulation step (e.g. max step = Tosc_period/10), and "trap" method of integration

what is your simulator? what are your tolerance settings? did you set an initial condition to start oscillation?

thank you!!! It worked!!! the trap method of integration was the key....thank you a lot
(Initial conditions not needed...it amplifies the noise of the circuit...)

simulator - spectre;
tolerance can depends on work station power also, it should be adjusted to your target;
IC isn't necessary, but typically use Vdd on pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back