Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0 ohm series resistor for power regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweethomela8

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm placing a 0 Ohm series resistor at the output of a regulator (3.3V @ 8Amps max), can the power rating of this resistor be small (1/16 W)? I'm trying to figure out what power rating resistor i need

The current rating is given in the data sheets, here are examples:
https://www.vishay.com/docs/31017/rcwp99.pdf
Keep in mind that a Zero Ohm resistor does have some finite resistance, though it is usually in the low mili-Ohms ..

You wouldn't wire 100kW motor with just a wire, although theoretically this wire has almost Zero Ohm resistance ..
The wire is selected according to it's power/current rating ..

The same thing with Zero Ohm resistors, once the value of a given Zero Ohm resistor is known, sizing it for a specific wattage is no different than sizing any other standard value resistor ..

IanP
:D

Well, if they are zero ohms, then they cannot be called resistors, they are called conductors.

power consumption is one ,current rating is the first .
Please note design rule that one current route 40mil trace in pcb desgin
8A current needs enough trace to make sure current through safetly .

Status
Not open for further replies.