Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What happens when an ideal voltage source is in series with an ideal current source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_falcon

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
i am new to this website.I just would like to know as what happens when an ideal voltage source is in series with an ideal current source.will the voltage source gets cancelled as it has zero resistance or??

help me out in learning this

Re: what happens here?

This is almost like touching a religion ..

An ideal voltage source against an ideal curret source .. infinity against infinity ..

Have a look at this:

An independent current source with zero current is identical to an ideal open circuit. For this reason, the internal resistance of an ideal current source is infinite. The voltage across an ideal current source is completely determined by the circuit it is connected to. When connected to a short circuit, there is zero voltage and thus zero power delivered. When connected to a load resistance, the voltage across the source approaches infinity as the load resistance approaches infinity (an open circuit). Thus, an ideal current source could supply unlimited power forever and so would represent an unlimited source of energy. Connecting an ideal open circuit to an ideal non-zero current source is not valid in circuit analysis as the circuit equation would be paradoxical, e.g., 5 = 0

quoted from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_source

IanP
:D

what happens here?

thanks...but can u explain a bit more clear as I am not able to get the answer for my question completely

thanks again

what happens here?

Nothing exciting happens. The voltage source will put its voltage across the infinite resistance current source. The current source will put its current into the infinite sink that is the voltage source.

Re: what happens here?

In other words, there is nothing to divide the voltage and current.
The voltage is going to be exactly the same as the source, and the current is going to be exactly as the source, nothing less.

what happens here?

Theories applied irrespective of idealities or non idealities.
So, use super position theorem and you will get the same answer as theflyingsquirrel explained already..

Umesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back