Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply 12V / 20A based on power transitors by Marcinsz

Status
Not open for further replies.

gres

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

It's a very simple project of power supply. There's nothing special inside: well none integrated voltage stabilizer 78xx, power transistors and filtering condensers with summary capacity 24.700uF
Most power goes to transistors, that's why we need such big radiator.

Power supply was made to work with big project that require effective power, system should work with maximum 25A
Firstly I wanted to put one powerfull transistor, but i've found two BD250 at my drawer and didin't want to waste them :)
Additional system consist stabilizers : 5V and 12V/1A ( to power integrated circuits, cooler system and more)
Board is made on thermotransfer mode (could be better)
Tests results are good:
- it can hold two car bulbs
- stabilization is quite good: no voltage pulsation at 20A
- when shorting ( without fuse) temperature of transistors rise, but not very much, and nothing wrong except that.
- cooling: with this radiator no need to install ventilator - it's just a little hot on big current)
Elements:
Condensers:
100nF MKT - 6 units
10uF/50V 1 unit
47 uF/35V - 2 units
10.000 uF - 2 units
4.700 uF - 1 unit

Resistors:
100 ohms /10W - 1 unit
0.15 ohms /5W - 2 units

Semi condensers
Stabilizer 7812 - 2 units
Stabilizer 7805 - 1 unit
Transistor BD250 - 2 units
Rectify bridge 25A - 1 unit

Others:
Goldpin 8 units ( pins)
1m cable
Radiators

Original text at https://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic1469050.html

Re: Power supply 12V / 20A based on power transitors by Marc

Those cables between the transistors etc do not look like they will support anywhere near 20A ??
Haha, good point. Obviously, the photo is showing the wires before applying 20 A. I don't understand Polish
language of the original thread, but I find, that there have been respective comments regarding amperage and
required wire gauges...

:)
These wires are OK for maybe 5 Amps_ & to "lighting with their"...
Strong homemade & "high-tech", then can have (only) Impulsemodus with 20A load:)
I mean; one time (in life) or in very short time slots...
K.

Re: Power supply 12V / 20A based on power transitors by Marc

even the thinnest wires can carry 20A - but not for long :D

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.