Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to setup a server on Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question was related to windows. How to do it from one unix box to another unix box I think I'll manage. Ditto for windows to unix, but for that I need more than just putty, hence the question. X11 forwarding in putty does just that, forward X11 protocol messages. You still need something that turns that into an actual display which putty definitely does not....

The question was related to windows. How to do it from one unix box to another unix box I think I'll manage. Ditto for windows to unix, but for that I need more than just putty, hence the question. X11 forwarding in putty does just that, forward X11 protocol messages. You still need something that turns that into an actual display which putty definitely does not....

Please read the link I supplied in previous post. It describes the details and the author is running Gedit from Linux using Putty on windows.

Hope You want to execute some GUI app on Linux and want to view it on Windows, Right??? then this is the way.

As I have not used Windows for several years(since 98-99) I can't help you on details / step by step walkthrough.
Even I don't have a Windows CD/DVD to install on a VM.

If you dont want to install VNC there is one more option.You can install software such as exceed ( humming bird) on windows. open a terminal in linux. Set the DISPLAY environment variable on your linux terminal (this must be the IP of the windows machine). Now run the Exceed on windows. Exceed waits for the incoming connections. Now run the matlab on the Linux terminal. The GUI is rendered by exceed on windows.

Please read the link I supplied in previous post. It describes the details and the author is running Gedit from Linux using Putty on windows.

Hope You want to execute some GUI app on Linux and want to view it on Windows, Right??? then this is the way.
The original question wasn't mine...

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/1376/#post857934

I just wanted to know if you happened to know a magic way of displaying X on windows ONLY using putty. I checked your link, no magic, the solution needed more than just putty as expected. In that particular solution Xming was used to fulfill the role of X11 server.

So yes, I checked the link, but I prefer the vnc solution over the Xming solution. Not that I need X11 on windows anytime soon, since I haven't needed that for anything in yeeeeeaaaars now. But hopefully this thread helps Raveesh get his matlab running the way he planned...

As I have not used Windows for several years(since 98-99) I can't help you on details / step by step walkthrough.
Even I don't have a Windows CD/DVD to install on a VM.

Heh, no windows since 98-99... Well, I still have windows. One does need a toy OS as gaming platform after all. ;)

Heh, no windows since 98-99... Well, I still have windows. One does need a toy OS as gaming platform after all. ;)

I dont play videogames thats why I dont have Windows :))
Well regarding toy I have a toy OS written in C++ named NanoOS
I guess you will find it as a better toy ;)

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Even the X forwarding takes more bandwidth, To avoid this bandwidth issue even I prefer to use NoMachine's NX. as it is free.

I dont play videogames thats why I dont have Windows :))
Well regarding toy I have a toy OS written in C++ named NanoOS
I guess you will find it as a better toy ;)

Even the X forwarding takes more bandwidth, To avoid this bandwidth issue even I prefer to use NoMachine's NX. as it is free.

Yeah, X gobbles up a fair amount of bandwidth if you don't watch it. It ofcourse depends a bit on the app displays you are forwarding.

Plus dxpc does a good job of compressing the X11 protocol messages. In the olden days I used that together with ssh X11 forwarding over a 19k2 modem and that was actually workable.

Just checked NX. Heh, looks like they grabbed the idea of dxpc and ran with it. Didn't know that one (not much high latency X forwarding these days), so thanks for the tip! I'll try that one and see how it compares to dxpc.

Yeah, They took some thing from Citrix too.
What they do is discard some meta data and recreate it at the client side. Even NX has some feature to publish the app on Web too.

Hi guys ,
Thanks for the support ,.. I'm using VNC solution.. it works well ..

Ravee

Status
Not open for further replies.